Thursday, March 4, 2010

So I'm blogging now huh???....

Well hello world, I'm the brown eyed girl! As per the suggestion of a friend, I've decided to start blogging. Not because I have anything particularly earth shattering to share, but I seem to have little insights to life that others find amusing or at the very least entertaining. I love to write, and lets face it...you can only fit so much in a Facebook status :) Here's a place for me to jot down the randomness that is me. So come along won't you?

As the mother of a beautiful 20 month old son you'll find that as of lately a lot of my topics are centered around parenthood. I promise this will not turn into a mommy blogging site, but it's safe to say that at least half the time we'll be on some parenting topics. So lets go with this as my first transmission as a blogger: Why can't I just be a parent? Honestly, why is it that we as parents have this irrational need to label ourselves? Why must we be attachment parents, cry it out parents, organic parents, tough love parents, natural parenting parents, stay at home parents, working parents, home schooling parents, status quo parents, AAAHHHH!!!! Let me break this down for you from a personal stand point. I am a 29 year old mother of a boy, I feed him organic oatmeal and Tyson's chicken nuggets and that's okay. I prefer he doesn't watch television, but the kid loves Elmo and I love 15 minutes of time to load the washer without so much help. We read as much as we can, we practice our letters and numbers but sometimes we just hang out and all of our minutes are not filled with stimulation. It's life, and it's just how it is. This parenting gig is the most challenging job you'll ever have, I can promise you that. What other job do you have to work 3 years to teach your own boss how to communicate clearly what they want and need? Not to mention those needs are constantly changing based on the minute, the season, and whether or not your boss had a good nap today. So here's my little tid bit, let's just be parents okay? What works for you and your children might...NO...probably...differs from what works for myself and my child. Learning how to dispense advice to another parent is key. Say it with me kids, "what works for us is (fill in the blank), but all kids are different". Is that so hard? So please stop pigeon holing yourself as a certain kind of parent and thinking that you just cannot relate to someone who is not like minded. We will all be better parents, and for that matter better people if we just relax a little and embrace the differences we have to offer each other. Spend time with parents of kids younger than yours, older than yours, and don't think that just because your friend breast feed their child for 3 years and you lasted 3 days doesn't mean you can't relate. Seeing those strengths and weaknesses in others will make us all better parents and better people. This sentiment translates outside the parenting world too folks...just think about it is all I'm asking you to do. Peace from the snowy Midwest.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I love it!!! And I don't know that I've ever thought about it as eloquently or in the same way, but I'm on that same soap box with you now. :) Keep preaching, Sista! And speaking of sharing parenting tidbits and whatnot, I really enjoyed our date last month and would love to make it a more regular thing, with or without our little guys! Great job on your first post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. It's awesome! I'm now your #1 Follower, Fan, Stalker. Keep them coming . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! Amen! Love it! You're so right! ..."I was a really good mom before I had kids...!" I find myself laughing more & more these days & taking it all with a grain of salt!

    ReplyDelete